2 alternative methods to obtain the SPC/MSL code with your android

02-26-2012, 11:27 PMPost: #1
Thme Offline
Geeked

Posts: 66 Joined: Nov 2011 Reputation: 0 Gender: Male Location: Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5 in 5 posts
Phone(s): Carrier: Boost Mobile ROM: Online Status: Offline
2 alternative methods to obtain the SPC/MSL code with your android
This post is going here in the general section as I feel one method or the other works on some androids. I had to try many things to get my SPC for a Samsung Galaxy S (US cellular) "mesmerize". None of the methods i found on the forums at XDA, Cricketusers and several others were helpful. the default is usually set to 000000 but in my case it wasn't so I dug around and found two helpful tricks for different phones but only one worked, however the other worked on my friends HTC evo 3d so that is my reasoning for posting here as the two methods described here can be useful if you run into a problem opening the phone with the SPC/MSL.

Note: both can be done from the phone alone so be sure to have it connected to a network if it is currently deactivated etc. An open wifi network will work. 

METHOD #1(requires root)
    This method isn't much of a method, just download and install "MSL reader" from the market and open it, grant permissions and if all is successful it will display your 6 digit SPC/MSL code.

METHOD #2(may or may not require root permissions)
    Install "connectbot" from the market and open it.
Under the bottom left option select "local" instead of "ssh" make up a random nickname and continue. simply type the following command after the $ and hit enter.

getprop ril.MSL (caps included)

If this doesn't return a 6 digit number you can try and use the  "getprop" command to scroll through and see if a name in the list has ril.MSL  or if "SPC" or "MSL" turn up somewhere among the names with a 6 digit number(if no number shows try the getprop command followed by the name you found in the list instead of "ril.MSL").

Hope this proves useful to some as it had helped me when nothing else worked. 

NOTES: The commands in METHOD #2 might also work with just a terminal emulator or through ADB. Tested it on my phone with term. emu. and it worked just like connectbot.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti-<br />www.jkrishnamurti.org

This post was last modified: 02-28-2012 01:18 AM by Thme.

02-26-2012, 11:41 PMPost: #2
jonhaney Offline
TITAN
Recognized Developer / Creator

Posts: 6,391 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 60 Gender: Male Location: usa Thanks Given: 448
Thanks Received: 789 in 563 posts
Phone(s): GALAXY S4 Carrier: Cricket ROM: Online Status: Offline
Re: 2 alternative methods to obtain the SPC/MSL code with your android
nice nice ..connectbot i use alot and you will need to be rooted or you want get the $  or  # in this  case    Tongue

[Image: UPP_Recognized_Developer_2_zpsc34e5704.png~original]

02-27-2012, 05:21 AMPost: #3
Thme Offline
Geeked

Actually I just tested the connectbot method again on my phone and it turned up the without requesting root or being granted permissions. It may differ depending on the rom and now that i remember i first did it on full stock and just now tested it on CM7. no need for root on my device(samsung SCH-i500 galaxy s) for the connectbot method.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti-<br />www.jkrishnamurti.org

02-27-2012, 09:46 AMPost: #4
jonhaney Offline
TITAN
Recognized Developer / Creator

Posts: 6,391 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 60 Gender: Male Location: usa Thanks Given: 448
Thanks Received: 789 in 563 posts
Phone(s): GALAXY S4 Carrier: Cricket ROM: Online Status: Offline
were you using the same login you made the first time?  are may its something that doest need the root or anything cause i use when changing boot logos and you need root and superuser

[Image: UPP_Recognized_Developer_2_zpsc34e5704.png~original]

02-28-2012, 01:11 AMPost: #5
Thme Offline
Geeked

Ok from what I understand it is only reading the file "ril.MSL" which shouldn't require root privileges at all, however it may depending on the phone/rom. When doing anything within the root directory that requires "writing" changes such as changing a boot animation, editing oom values, changing vm heap, read_ahead cache, setting the CPU scaling values etc. you are writing either a file/directory, overwriting an existing file/directory with different information or re/moving one/s. in general you shouldn't need root permissions to simply "read" files in the root directory you just can't modify or change them without being "rooted". In the case of firmware within cellphones that deals with the use and funtions of the antennas you may need root permissions just to read them as they may have permissions values different from the rest of the system among other thing that may be in place on the part of the manufacterer or carrier to prevent those parts from being merely accessed. In the case of my phone it wasn't necessary.(yes i did log into a new session, actually i installed connectbot again because i had recently flashed my rom to CM7.). If you wanna test this for yourself just open a terminal emulator on a non-rooted phone and "cd" to the root directory (cd /) and list the contents with "ls". you can actually cp the build.prop in the system directory to the sdcard and open it yourself without needing root privileges(you would only need root to write it back to the /system directory. executable files you may not be able to read like the init.rc but as far as the ril.MSL it appears to be just a text file (or entry in a larger text file) that is matched with an entered SPC/MSL code when accessing the programming menus on the phone or reading it through QPST. It appears to be on some samsung phones but I've been unable to test that on enough devices to confirm it to be specific to samsung phones. All i know is that METHOD #2 worked on my phone where the msl reader app didn't. many phones don't have an "ril.MSL" in the system properties so this is only an alternative if msl reader doesn't work which was my case. METHOD #1 should work for many more devices than METHOD #2 as I've seen more success with it. None of this is absolute and i can't garauntee these methods to work at all.

Search