[Guide] How To Root The Wildfire S With S-ON

03-09-2012, 01:02 AMPost: #1
BlastGT1 Offline
Fullmetal Droid
Administrator / Command Droid

Posts: 5,693 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 36 Gender: Male Location: Texas Thanks Given: 249
Thanks Received: 796 in 601 posts
Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Carrier: Page Plus ROM: Rooted Stock JB 4.3 Online Status: Offline
[Guide] How To Root The Wildfire S With S-ON
Credit to [glow=red,2,300]CafeKampuchia[/glow] on Phandroid for the original post.

Quote:NOTE: This tutorial is for rooting the HTC Wildfire S by unlocking the phone's bootloader even with S-ON. It is no longer necessary to gain S-OFF in order to root the Wildfire S!

This method of rooting the phone became possible with HTC dev's release of the unlocked bootloader for the Wildfire S.  I don't take credit for coming up with this method, just for  consolidating it here for those interested. Credit goes out to the guys  at xda developers for each step.

Please note that this method does involve the possible voiding of your warranty, so be certain that you are willing to risk that to root your phone. Moreover, you proceed at your own risk.  I accept no responsibility for what you do with your phone. All I can  say is that I got it to work on mine, and so have many others.

You will need patience and time, and you'll need to know how to use SDK tools for Android. If you are a total noob, I do not recommend this for your first project! Androidwink If you try anyway and get confused with terminology, try looking here for answers: Terminology - CyanogenMod Wiki.

Before beginning, make sure that SDK tools for Android, Java runtime, and HTC Sync are installed on your Windows computer. If you run Mac, I can't help you. I avoid all that narcissistic iStuff like the plague.

1. Perform a full backup your phone's data as you will be doing a factory reset.

2. [OPTIONAL] Update software version to 2.3.5
If you have a Marvel/A510e, I recommend updating to 2.3.5 before proceeding (if possible),  though you can root a 2.3.3 device. If you decide to root 2.3.3 now and  install 2.3.5 later, you'll loose your root and have to run steps 4 and 5 over  again.

If a 2.3.5 update is unavailable for your phone through HTC OTA  updates or your carrier and you're willing to do some work, check out this guide to install the European 2.3.5 ROM which is known to work with most Marvel/A510e phones even from other regions.
[GUIDE]How to update HTC Wildfire S/Marvel/A510e/GSM to Software Version 2.3.5

Certain other phones like MetroPCS are stuck at 2.3.4, so move on to step 3 below.

3. Unlock your bootloader at htcdev.com
The next step is to head over to htcdev.com and follow the procedure there to unlock your bootloader. This is the step that can void your warranty!

3A. Getting started
Create an account at htcdev.com  and login. After clicking the \"unlock bootloader\" icon and \"Get  Started\" button, select your phone from the list (HTC Wildfire S *, right?). The  asterisk (*) means that your phone requires an HBOOT update (step 3B  below). Finally, click the \"Begin Unlock Bootloader\" button. Fill out  all the nasty forms telling HTC that it's perfectly fine with you to  void your warranty by doing this process.  :'(

3B. Updating your HBOOT Read the \"Bootloader instructions\" page  carefully. Then choose the correct RUU for your phone's carrier and  model number (ie, PG76xxx00). The model number for your phone is found  under the battery minus the final two 0s.  If you've  successfully  upgraded to the European 2.3.5 RUU in step 1  above, the  corresponding HBOOT update (HTC EU) should work  for your phone. It's the one I  used for my Asia A510e/PG76100. Re-read  the instructions and then follow them.

When you run the RUU, make sure that HTC Sync isn't running in the background or you'll get error 170 USB connection and the update will fail.

Once the HBOOT is successfully updated, when you boot your phone into  bootloader (turn it off, pull and reinsert the battery, hold volume down  and press power  button) you'll see ***_LOCKED_(OOW)_*** (\"Out Of Warranty\"?) at the top of the screen and and H-BOOT-1.08.0099 or H-BOOT-1.10.0000 below. Move on to 3C below. But, if you run into problems...

If you can't find an RUU for your phone/carrier, try a generic RUU for a phone of the same model. These will start with \"HTC\" instead of a carrier name. Again,make sure that it's for the same model (ie, PG76xxxx) as your phone. If you ignore what I just said and brick your phone, then you probably aren't reading this sentence either but it's still your own fault Grin

If you get errors trying to update with the RUU executable, first verify that HTC Sync isn't running in the background. If not and you're still getting errors (ie, 170/171-USB error, 191-ROM Not Supported) chances are  you can overcome them by flashing the ROM from your MicroSDHC card using this procedure:

1) Run the RUU again and look for the temp folder it created, I something like C:\?Users\?[YourLoginNameHere]\?AppData\?Local\?Temp?\?{82B23FCD-D5D0-45CA-A3A2-5350D3926551}
2) Find rom_02.zip in a subfolder of that folder and rename it PG76IMG.zip
3) Copy PG76IMG.zip onto the root directory of your MicroSDHC card
4) Shutdown the phone, pull and reinsert the battery and reinstall the MicroSDHC card
5) Boot into bootloader (hold volume down and press power)
6) Wait for it to load PG76IMG.zip and press volume up (\"yes\") to install
7) Shut the phone down and delete PG76IMG.zip from the MicroSDHC card
Cool Boot into bootloader again and you should see ***_LOCKED_(OOW)_***  with a bootloader version of H-BOOT-1.08.0099 or H-BOOT-1.10.0000 below. Move onto 3C below

If you're completely stuck on this step you can get more help here or post a reply to this thread and I'll try to help. But be sure to thank the guys that help you by clicking the thanks button!

3C. Unlock the bootloader
Now you'll follow the steps starting on pg. 2 of the unlock bootloader  procedure at htcdev.com. (Find the green button waaaay down at the  bottom of the ROM selection page that says \"Proceed to Step 1\".)

This step requires you to use adb commands (SDK tools) to retrieve your phone's oem identifier token. You will then upload that to the HTC dev bootloader unlock page. After receiving it, they will respond with an email containing an image  file (\"Unlock_code.bin\") which you will then flash to the phone to unlock your bootloader. When done successfully, the Bootloader screen will show ***_UNLOCKED_***. Success!

[Image: profilepic790595_4.gif]

4. Now on to root the phone!
Note: this will only work if your phone's bootloader is successfully unlocked (you see ***_UNLOCKED_*** on your bootloader screen) or you happen to have an S-ON phone.

Of the methods I have found, this seemed to be the easiest and it's the one that I used. Credit goes out to developer frigid, again at XDA.

4A. First, download the HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid at xda-developers and don't forget to hit the thanks button on his thread! Be sure to get version 3, not 2! (Direct download here.)

4B. Once the HTC SuperTool is running (and your phone is  connected by USB and in debugging mode), use the following options (see  attached jpg below):

1) Press 1 followed by enter (Prep using zergRush).
2) Press 3 followed by enter (Attempt Perm Root). It will tell you if the phone was successfully rooted.
3) Type \"reboot\" followed by enter to reboot the phone.

If that doesn't work, try his sequence instead:
1) Press 2 followed by enter (Prep using TacoRoot).
2) Press 3 followed by enter (Attempt Perm Root). It will tell you if the phone was successfully rooted.
3) Type \"reboot\" followed by enter to reboot the phone.

For help with this step, check out this thread at XDA. Do I need to say it again? Click the thanks button for the guys who helped you!

5. I'm finally rooted!  Cool Now what?
5A. Install the Superuser app by ChainsDD This app allows other apps to access root when necessary. After it's installed, reboot the phone. Whenever you install and run an app that requires root, you'll get a dialog asking if you want SuperUser to grant permission to that app.

5B. Install ClockworkMod Recovery for WFS
Download the official 5.0.2.8 image at http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries and make sure you get the right one for your device whether Marvel or MarvelC. Flash it as follows:
>fastboot flash recovery [image name.img]

After flashing the new recovery, head over to Google Play [formerly Android Market] and pick up the ClockworkMod ROM Manager app.

5C. Backup your stock HTC ROM in CWM5 Recovery!! Before you make changes to your stock ROM or decide to install a custom ROM, this is a must! Reverting back to a stock HTC ROM after installing a custom ROM can cause  massive headaches. Androidsad Restoring  from a backup is MUCH easier. Androidwink  It will also help if you've ruined your ROM causing a softbrick. You just boot into CWM5 Recovery, do a factory reset and clear cache (including Dalvik) and do a restore.

5D. Install custom ROMs Or not. Some are happy with HTC's stock  Sense 2.1 ROMs. But most of us aren't, and that's why we rooted the phone in  the first place,  right? My current fav for Marvel/A510e is EQDKP Sense 3.5  by m1ndh4x8r based on the newly released HTC Pica/Explorer's Sense 3.5 ROM. Lots of people like Alquez's CyanogenMod 7.2 port for Marvel/A510e too, but to each his own. For a list of custom ROMs available, check out this thread: [INDEX] roms/recovery/guides/kernel/root/... and make sure that the ROM you download is for your phone.

The procedure for flashing a custom ROM is as follows:
1) Download the ROM and copy it to the root directory of your SD card.
2) Boot into recovery (you should be a pro at this by now) and backup your stock ROM.
3) Do a factory reset, wipe the cache partition and wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced).
4) Install the update from the SD card.

[align=center]Now enjoy hacking your Droid![align=left][align=center]

[Image: TBTransLogo_zpsefd630b5.png]
[Image: BackUPP250x25_zps31d2a586.png]
[Image: EdwardElricCircle250x114_zps8d33fcce.png]

This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 01:05 AM by BlastGT1.

04-01-2012, 07:40 PMPost: #2
johndoe Offline
n00by

Posts: 2 Joined: Apr 2012 Reputation: 0 Gender: Male Location: Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts
Phone(s): Carrier: Boost Mobile ROM: Online Status: Offline
Re: [Guide] How To Root The Wildfire S With S-ON
Ok so I went to the htcdev site and couldn't. update my rom. I kept getting. error 190... ssomething with rom can't update. I used the metropsc rru.. so I seen u can skip this step and unlock the bootloader. I did so and it worked. I used fridge and the other person on the  rootingtool... (superuserv3.)  It flashed rooTed but when Icheck my apps. au labor there. I truer to put ROM manager on my as and root that way and nothing.. I event into my hoot and I have no image I have hoot 1.10.0000. Unlocked... I really need help..... hat is the root of the sdcard
? Someone please help so I can be don't with it....

04-03-2012, 12:24 AMPost: #3
BlastGT1 Offline
Fullmetal Droid
Administrator / Command Droid

Posts: 5,693 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 36 Gender: Male Location: Texas Thanks Given: 249
Thanks Received: 796 in 601 posts
Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Carrier: Page Plus ROM: Rooted Stock JB 4.3 Online Status: Offline
I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I honestly had a bit of a hard time understanding what your situation is, due to the many misspellings. Please restate the issue a little more clearly and we'll do the best we can to help you.

[Image: TBTransLogo_zpsefd630b5.png]
[Image: BackUPP250x25_zps31d2a586.png]
[Image: EdwardElricCircle250x114_zps8d33fcce.png]

04-03-2012, 01:17 AMPost: #4
BigChillin Offline
Geeked

Posts: 63 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 1 Gender: Male Location: Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts
Phone(s): Carrier: Boost Mobile ROM: Online Status: Offline
Word. I'm familiar with both the process and phone and I'm lost.

Sent from my Wildfire S using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Search