[CWM & Stock Recovery] ZTE Engage

03-12-2013, 03:26 PMPost: #1
stedman420 Offline
Recognized Developer
Recognized Developer / Creator

Posts: 612 Joined: Oct 2012 Reputation: 32 Gender: Male Location: Mt. Angel, OR Thanks Given: 275
Thanks Received: 281 in 167 posts
Phone(s): SGH-I317 Carrier: Cricket ROM: custom Online Status: Offline
[CWM & Stock Recovery] ZTE Engage
All of this seems to be working fine for me but remember you use everything here at your own risk. I nor anyone else will be held responsible for your phone. So please keep in mind YOUR PHONE = YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

Please read this entire post carefully and completely before posting probs or questions.

Please do not post download links to this elsewhere please link to this thread instead.

**REQUIREMENTS**
Cricket ZTE Engage (LT, MT, V8000)

The only other requirement is you can boot your phone into recovery.

Yes this can be installed in stock recovery.

No you don't need to be rooted.

**INFO**
The CWM zips below will install CWM-Based v6.0.3.3 recovery and remove a couple recovery-from-boot scripts. This is needed to keep it from restoring the recovery to stock. However the stock recovery zips I have posted below will also restore these. Also when you install one of these zips your phone will reboot during installation this is normal as it's just rebooting to your new recovery.

**NOTES**
There is seperate download links depending on which phone model you have so please make sure you get the right one for your phone.

There is also a Temp CWM Recovery zip that should work with any engage model. The temp cwm will not permanently alter anything on your phone so would need to be installed everytime you want to access CWM Recovery.

**INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS**

1.) Download the appropriate recovery zip for your phone model and place it on the root of your sdcard (on your sdcard not in any other folder)

2.) Boot your phone into recovery mode

3.) Use Volume button to scroll to apply update from external storage and use power to select it

4.) Scroll to the Unofficial_CWM zip and select and install it

5.) Your phone will reboot to the new recovery. Now just don't forget to make a backup

**V8000 DOWNLOAD LINKS**

Unofficial_CWM-v6.0.3.3-V.zip

Official V8000 CWM Image or can be installed via ROM Manager!!!

Stock_V8000_Recovery.zip

**LT N8000 DOWNLOAD LINKS**

Unofficial_CWM-v6.0.3.3-LT.zip

Stock_LT-N8000_Recovery.zip

**MT N8000 DOWNLOAD LINKS**

Unofficial_CWM-v6.0.3.3-MT.zip

Stock_MT-N8000_Recovery.zip

**ANY ENGAGE DOWNLOAD LINK**

Temp_CWM_Recovery-Engage.zip

***BONUS QUICK TIPS***
**HOW TO MANUALLY BOOT PHONE INTO RECOVERY**

1.) Power phone off

2.) Press and hold volume up, and power button at the same time until your phone boots into recovery

3.) Once in recovery volume buttons scroll and power button will select options.

**HOW TO MANUALLY FLASH RECOVERY USING A ROOTED PHONE** (this will not work with the temp recovery)
1.) Download and install this Android Terminal Emulator from PlayStore on your phone if you have not already

2.) Download the appropiate recovery zip for your phone model from the links above

3.) Take the recovery.img out of the zip and place it on the root of your phones sdcard (on your sdcard not in any folder)

4.) Open terminal emulator and type
Code:
su
then press enter

5.) Type
Code:
dd if=/mnt/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
then press enter

5.) Once that's done type
Code:
reboot recovery
then press enter

You should then hopefully boot to your new recovery.

**BIG PROPS CREDIT AND THANKS GOES TO**
Geekster - for the donation of 2 ZTE Engage V8000's for the cause.
Playfulgod - for helping to get the V8000 recovery official and for always being willing to help out the community
Koush - for the awesomeness that's CWM
GradientPoet - for testing and files needed (LT N8000)
twustedseizure - for testing and stock files (MT N8000)

[Image: UPP_Recognized_Developer_2_zps1268263a.png]

There's no such thing as a stupid question here so please ask all support questions in open forum where all can benefit and be warned if you're selfish enough to pm me a support question I'll be selfish enough to not answer you

This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 07:52 PM by stedman420.
[-] The following 7 users say Thank You to stedman420 for this post:
alayton09 (02-19-2014), BennAtrophy (01-02-2014), BlastGT1 (03-12-2013), Dopy25 (05-07-2013), geekster (03-12-2013), Goochy421` (03-10-2014), indicia (08-08-2013)

03-12-2013, 03:49 PMPost: #2
BlastGT1 Offline
Fullmetal Droid
Administrator / Command Droid

Posts: 5,601 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 36 Gender: Male Location: Texas Thanks Given: 243
Thanks Received: 777 in 587 posts
Phone(s): HTC ReZound Carrier: Page Plus ROM: Rooted Stock ICS Online Status: Offline
RE: Temp CWM-Recovery(update.zip)
Nice work, guys!

[Image: TBTransLogo_zpsefd630b5.png]
[Image: BackUPP250x25_zps31d2a586.png]
[Image: EdwardElricCircle250x114_zps8d33fcce.png]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to BlastGT1 for this post:
geekster (03-12-2013), stedman420 (03-12-2013)

03-12-2013, 05:42 PMPost: #3
geekster Offline
n00by

Posts: 23 Joined: Sep 2012 Reputation: 1 Gender: Male Location: Denver, CO Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 18 in 13 posts
Phone(s): HTC One SV Carrier: Cricket ROM: None Available yet Online Status: Offline
Good job Stedman!! Not only did you save my life here with this recovery, but I'm very happy to be the first guinea pig to try it. This temporary recovery works like a charm!! I'm sure as the population grows with ZTE Engage's out there this forum will get more and more attention. Kinda slow going for now but it won't be long and you'll have the very first ClockWorkMod out for this awesome Android and more than likely its first custom ROM for it as well. This is definetely a very jubilent time for all those that have the Engage!!

Also, this is my one and only time to do a sales pitch on here for donations. I know many of you are very thankful for the work that developers do to bring you some of the cool stuff that you can do with your Androids. However, it all does come with a hefty price tag too. Not only is there a lot of time involved in putting together the types of ROMS that Stedman420 has put together and he's quite thorough in everything that he does. I can vouch for this and love testing for him. But then there is also the money that has to be put up to invest in the devices to do the development work on and I am trying to raise the money to get him a PC with Linux on it to make his job much easier. I have to thank his neighbors for being so kind to let him use their PC and WIFI in order to just get this temporary recovery done. And I'm by no means wealthy but I believe in the work that Stedman420 is doing. He did the best job of anyone to bring you a very lightweight ROM for the Score X500 which I also own. And I know he will strive to bring you a very top notch ROM for the Engage. He has logged some very heavy hours over the last week, just since he got the Engage, in order to do just the temporary recovery so far. He hasn't even had time to get it activated to see if he can talk on it yet!! LMAO So everyone be sure and give him the thanks he deserves and let's get some donations rolling in to help out with what's to come. I don't want you to think you gotta give any big amount either. Just a little click on the link in any of his or my posts for a dollar here and a dollar there all adds up. Any amount of money you can donate for the work being done on two wonderful ZTE Androids is GREATLY appreciated!!

The Geekster

Click here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm...WBPTYAXSXC
if I was able to help you. All proceeds donated go to the further development of the ZTE Score X500 and ZTE Engage V8000 and to this web site. THANK YOU!!

This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 06:07 PM by geekster.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geekster for this post:
stedman420 (03-12-2013)

03-12-2013, 06:16 PMPost: #4
PlayfulGod Offline
Head Asshole

Posts: 1,407 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 17 Gender: Male Location: NW Georgia Thanks Given: 45
Thanks Received: 287 in 199 posts
Phone(s): LG G Flex Carrier: AT&T Prepaid ROM: CM11 Online Status: Offline
umm if stock recovery will flash that, it will flash any zip. Androidwink

[Image: pg-1.png~original]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PlayfulGod for this post:
geekster (03-13-2013)

03-12-2013, 06:27 PMPost: #5
stedman420 Offline
Recognized Developer

Posts: 612 Joined: Oct 2012 Reputation: 32 Gender: Male Location: Mt. Angel, OR Thanks Given: 275
(03-12-2013 06:16 PM)PlayfulGod Wrote:  umm if stock recovery will flash that, it will flash any zip. Androidwink

That's what I thought too but when I tried putting the recovery.img in a flashable zip and tried installing it through stock recovery I got the signature error. So I'm still tryin to figure out how that works lol when they were signed by the same two keys lol

There's no such thing as a stupid question here so please ask all support questions in open forum where all can benefit and be warned if you're selfish enough to pm me a support question I'll be selfish enough to not answer you

03-12-2013, 06:42 PMPost: #6
stoneysdead2000 Offline
n00by

Posts: 18 Joined: May 2012 Reputation: 0 Gender: Male Location: Dayton Ohio Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 4 in 3 posts
Phone(s): huawei ascend 2 Carrier: Cricket ROM: cm7.2 ultimate Online Status: Offline
Yeahu!!!got a backup now.awesome....on cwm on Facebook or somewhere I seen theres a spot to upload system.img and such and "they/he/it" whoever makes a working cwm recovery idk if this will help any but I hope it does.

P.s.I will donate as soon as I can,and thanks for the awesomeness!!!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to stoneysdead2000 for this post:
geekster (03-12-2013), stedman420 (03-12-2013)

03-12-2013, 06:51 PMPost: #7
stedman420 Offline
Recognized Developer

Re: Temp CWM-Recovery(update.zip)
Sweet glad to hear it's workin for ya and no worries I've just about got it figured out Lol well I hope Lol Android-smile

Sent from my Silky X500 runnin Stripped Mod

03-12-2013, 07:44 PMPost: #8
PlayfulGod Offline
Head Asshole

Posts: 1,407 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 17 Gender: Male Location: NW Georgia Thanks Given: 45
try signing it like:
Code:
java -Xmx1024m -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 FILE.zip FILE-signed.zip

or

Code:
java -Xmx512m -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 FILE.zip FILE-signed.zip

Here are some signing tools if needed.

http://goo.im/devs/drmacinyasha/wiki/signing-tools.zip

This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 07:45 PM by PlayfulGod.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PlayfulGod for this post:
geekster (03-13-2013), stedman420 (03-12-2013)

03-12-2013, 11:27 PMPost: #9
stedman420 Offline
Recognized Developer

sweet this one was the ticket

Code:
java -Xmx1024m -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 FILE.zip FILE-signed.zip

I was usin some script to sign before but that did the trick thanks PG Androidwink

So if everyone has been following this you can flash any zip in stock recovery as long as it's signed like above.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to stedman420 for this post:
geekster (03-13-2013)

03-13-2013, 08:01 AMPost: #10
PlayfulGod Offline
Head Asshole

Silly ZTE using test keys for their recovery hehe, would think they would have learned with the Warp. Androidwink

Search