Home Wi-Fi Signal Booster (Grab your Wi-Fi) From 1-2 MILES AWAY !!!

10-14-2011, 11:10 AMPost: #1
Spyder Offline
Very Important Phone!
VIP

Posts: 316 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 1 Gender: Male Location: Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 3 in 3 posts
Phone(s): Carrier: Boost Mobile ROM: Online Status: Offline
Home Wi-Fi Signal Booster (Grab your Wi-Fi) From 1-2 MILES AWAY !!!
Hello All.

Well, Since this wasn't specifically Android, I figured I better put it in the "Geeks Corner" but, if you live at a place like I do, Not at all out in the sticks, BUT, No Wi-Fi access all over either.  So, deal w/ 3G (Which I think "Dealing with will change a lot when we have 4G".

But, ther than the McD's in town, getting a Wi-Fi Signal, just isn't going to happen.

GRABBING YOUR WI-FI FROM A MILE OR TWO

Well, TO THE POINT:  IF you are not familiar with a site called www.instructables.com you should be.  EVERY THING, from how to make a grappling hook gun, to bake bread that each slice look like a frog  -  I LOVE THIS SITE.

There are MANY MANY MANY Wi-Fi boosters out there to make, the pringles can, etc.....This one caught my eye and I'm working on it now so I can give any real data, BUT...THE FEEDBACK IS GREAT...

This design only has 1 "Difficult" issue:  soldering the connection to the router itself.  BUT, it wouldnt' be there if it's too complicated for any everyday person

HERE YA GO:  THe line to the Booster Antenna:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-...i-Antenna/

While there I would HIGHLY suggest, sign up, get their emails...THEY DO NOT flood you with crap, its only now and then, and always interesting.  FYI:  I HAVE NO STAKE OR REASON TO BENEFIT FRO PUSHING THEM, I JUST LOVE IT..

I think will be nice to run down to the store mile or bit more....and keep my wi-fi ...

ENJOY....COMMENTS?

Spyder

I may be laying in the gutter, but I'm staring at the stars.....O.Wilde

This post was last modified: 10-14-2011 11:14 AM by Spyder.

10-14-2011, 03:28 PMPost: #2
PlayfulGod Offline
Head Asshole
Recognized Developer / Creator

Posts: 1,389 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 17 Gender: Male Location: NW Georgia Thanks Given: 44
Thanks Received: 267 in 191 posts
Phone(s): Galaxy Nexus Carrier: T-Mobile Prepaid ROM: CM11 Online Status: Offline
Re: Home Wi-Fi Signal Booster (Grab your Wi-Fi) From 1-2 MILES AWAY !!!
I use to have a cantenna that was like the pringles can except all metal and a PCIMA wifi card (still have it) for it to connect too. Androidwink

Depending on your router, no soldering would be required, like with the older WRT54's etc.,j ust would need a connector. I always wanted to convert an old satellite dish into a giant yagi lol

[Image: pg-1.png~original]

10-14-2011, 04:28 PMPost: #3
Spyder Offline
Very Important Phone!
VIP

Posts: 316 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 1 Gender: Male Location: Thanks Given: 0
(10-14-2011 03:28 PM)PlayfulGod link Wrote:  I use to have a cantenna that was like the pringles can except all metal and a PCIMA wifi card (still have it) for it to connect too. Androidwink

Depending on your router, no soldering would be required, like with the older WRT54's etc.,j ust would need a connector. I always wanted to convert an old satellite dish into a giant yagi lol

Instructables has the pringles can, said this blew it away.  NOW, don't quote me, b/c I'm not exactly sure what it was for 100%, BUT, they did have an instructable using an old dish network dish....check it out....or now that I'm thinkin' I may look for it too,

I found it while searching for wi-fi boosters and antennas and combinations of the such....

Sat. dish...LOL...think of getting your wi fi all over town...LOL....

I will say, those dishes are meant to receive not transmit, they f'in tricked me.  I asked, you have the SAME on demand ad cable, yes...well long story, but you pick the movie, and it uses you cat5 plug in web to d/l to the movie, not instant on-demand like cable. had it less than a year on a 2 year contract.  Got the cable company to buy out the contract.  The "Tricked" me , I thought....scheisse must have had a break thru, and can receive now....so even if that did broadcast wi-fi, if you clicked or sent data back, I BET it needs another method of "Sending" out the signal. (BTW: Often those movies would take hours to d/l, went red yellow green, if you started it it green it "Should" be done by the time you get there...RIP OFF

10-15-2011, 12:55 AMPost: #4
PlayfulGod Offline
Head Asshole
Recognized Developer / Creator

Posts: 1,389 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 17 Gender: Male Location: NW Georgia Thanks Given: 44
Thanks Received: 267 in 191 posts
Phone(s): Galaxy Nexus Carrier: T-Mobile Prepaid ROM: CM11 Online Status: Offline
well with the sat dish, to use it to transmit you would have to connect it to the routers antenna connector and redo the lil dodad on the dish. And yea a yagi it better than a cantenna, which are just a shadetree way og making one Androidwink

[Image: pg-1.png~original]

10-15-2011, 03:55 AMPost: #5
Spyder Offline
Very Important Phone!
VIP

(10-15-2011 12:55 AM)PlayfulGod link Wrote:  well with the sat dish, to use it to transmit you would have to connect it to the routers antenna connector and redo the lil dodad on the dish. And yea a yagi it better than a cantenna, which are just a shadetree way og making one Androidwink

If I get a few, I'll dig that out, I THINK I have some plans, how to do it, BUT, can't remember the "Send" method???

I'll let ya know...
Cool though, I HAVE an extra dish....I think I can get another if you want to play too?  just shipping that SOB...maybe not bad...

I'll tty, after I see if I can find the plans...Jeff

11-21-2011, 07:41 PMPost: #6
jajabro1 Offline
Geeked

Posts: 67 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 0 Gender: Male Location: Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts
will this work for a N?

11-23-2011, 07:16 PMPost: #7
BlastGT1 Online
Fullmetal Droid
Administrator / Command Droid

Posts: 5,358 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 34 Gender: Male Location: Texas Thanks Given: 223
Thanks Received: 715 in 541 posts
Phone(s): HTC ReZound Carrier: Page Plus ROM: Rooted Stock ICS Online Status: Online
I would assume it should work for any wifi signal, be it A, B, G, or N.

[Image: TBTransLogo_zpsefd630b5.png]
[Image: EdwardElricCircle250x114_zps8d33fcce.png]
[Image: BackUPP250x25_zps31d2a586.png]

12-08-2011, 02:19 AMPost: #8
zeb94 Offline
Very Important Phone!
VIP

Posts: 100 Joined: Oct 2011 Reputation: 0 Gender: Male Location: Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts
Phone(s): Carrier: Cricket ROM: Online Status: Offline
I would love to build this  Cool

MegaAndroids

12-08-2011, 07:04 AMPost: #9
Spyder Offline
Very Important Phone!
VIP

(12-08-2011 02:19 AM)zeb94 link Wrote:  I would love to build this  Cool

I KNOW ME TOO, there is a little back road, that is a short cut to this buddy of mine's it's about 2-3 miles long, but I TOTALLY LOSE IT there...I thought, that would cover me right over there....and if on a call, can Skype my way on thru this road...

I'm going to have another look at it and see what I have.  My GPap has been a HAM Radio operator for a zillion years, and the house IS FULL of electronic equipment, special wire, connectors, etc.  SO, I MIGHT even have most of what I need.

I was just looking again at the mini-Mag flashlight laser, I have a HP Pavillion dv7 with a busted video card, can't get it fixed, tried, even had the pro's have a look, can't get money for it, because even though I KNOW the screen is ok, can't prove it since video won't come on, So....I was going to sell for parts, gut I'm just going to take the laser diode and make one (IF you didn't see it, search inscrutable, it's cool...)

We should talk some more about some of that stuff, very cool

anyway, gotta run quick today, sorry...take care buddy...JEFF

01-03-2012, 06:36 AMPost: #10
Thme Offline
Geeked

Posts: 66 Joined: Nov 2011 Reputation: 0 Gender: Male Location: Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 4 in 4 posts
I know I'm a little late replying here but that website ROCKS! spyder, just browsing it got me hooked. Hmm I was thinking of getting an ALFA wireless adapter but that post may just save me some dough. Will look into it.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti-<br />www.jkrishnamurti.org

Search